September 24, 2011

Kool-Aid Cookies

You heard me. Kool-Aid cookies. There's something so unique about Kool-Aid, regardless of flavor choice. And these cookies use that to their advantage.

You're probably still thinking to yourself, "Moosie. Did you really use Kool-Aid to make cookies? Are you playin' me?" I present to you the evidence:

An opened package of unsweetened Kool-aid.
Ingredients:
1 pkg (0.16oz) unsweetened Kool-Aid
1 2/3 C sugar
1 1/4 C softened butter
2 lg eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3 C flour (packed)
1/2 C sugar for rolling

Cream butter, sugar, and Kool-Aid
Add eggs, one at a time. Mix well.
Combine flour, salt and soda (I never do this step.)
Slowly add in the flour.

Preheat oven to 325

Roll dough into 1" balls (I use a 2tsp cookie scoop.)
Roll dough balls in sugar.
Place cookies 2" apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake at 325 for 10-12 minutes or until the edges begin to brown slightly.
Let cool no more than 1min on baking sheet before moving to a wire rack.

Moose Tracks:
I dislike doing dishes. So unless it's amazingly critical I just add in ingredients in order after the eggs. It hasn't really made a huge difference in most baked goods. It can, but you have to know the recipe and how ingredients interact to catch it before trying and failing once.
The cookies above our Fruit Punch Kool-Aid cookies. If/when I can find unsweetened watermelon Kool-Aid I'll be making these cookies again.

4 comments:

  1. How did they taste? Were they chemically tasting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The did have a distinctly Kool-aid flavor to them. If that only-to-be-found-in-Kool-Aid-regardless-of-flavor-choice flavor is what you call chemically, then yes, they did. I have it on good authority the watermelon ones taste only like watermelon cookies. Unfortunately the town of Mooseville doesn't carry any watermelon Kool-Aid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have recently found watermelon kool-aid at a local Wal-Mart. Now I am going to try and make these cookies.

      Delete
  3. When I was a girl way back in 1968, my sister was in charge of making the Koolaid for our evening dinner. She accidentally poured flour into the pitcher. My mom, being the conservative mom of 7 kids, never threw anything out. So she made cookies out of the grape Koolaid/flour mixture. Oh my goodness, what a treat, we thought we were eating something really fancy. She never made them again, probably because that would be wasting Koolaid. When I had my own kids, I remembered them and decided to try them again to see if they were just as wonderful. What a treat! I put a little food coloring in them just for fun.

    ReplyDelete